Starting an Aladdin collection can be overwhelming, so we would like to offer some helpful tips to get you started in the right direction. While everyone’s collections are unique, there are some things you can do to make the process go more smoothly. Whether you have some lamps you have your eye on already or you don’t even know where to begin, we hope these tips will help you create a collection of which you can be proud. None of these steps are hard and fast rules by any means, so feel free to utilize the ones that feel right to you and make adjustments as you go.
Starting a Collection
- Research: Know what is out there and what to look for in an Aladdin
- Wish List & Budget: List the lamps you want and develop a budget to keep you on track, based on current prices
- Search: Weigh the pros and cons between online sellers (i.e. eBay, Facebook, etc.) vs. brick and mortor or in-person shopping (i.e. auctions, flea markets, etc.)
- Catalog & Photograph: Keep track of your lamps by documenting where and when you bought them, price, etc. and take detailed pictures for future reference
- Enjoy: Use them or display them!
Above are some basic things to consider when starting a collection. For a more detailed look at each of these steps, click here.
Cataloging: A Collection Spreadsheet Template
Step #4 outlined above involves keeping track of the lamps you acquire. This list can be as simple or as detailed as you want. If you’re having trouble imagining what this might look like, we’ve got you covered! Try out this template, I (Lori Showalter) created for my own collection. I first shared this idea at the 47th Aladdin Gathering in Coralville, Iowa, and I was asked to share it. So, here it is, a basic template based on my own spreadsheet, along with a few sample entries to give you an idea of what mine looks like.
This spreadsheet has everything you need to get started! All of the collection tips are divided into tabs at the bottom, plus a bonus tab for keeping track of parts and accessories:
- Wish List & Budget
- My Lamps
- Parts & Accessories
Create Your Own Spreadsheet
You can start your own spreadsheet in one of two ways: you can choose your spreadsheet program (Excel, LibreOffice, Google Sheets, etc.), create a new document, and fill in the columns you want. Or, you can download the “Aladdin Collection Template” and modify it to what works for you.
If you would like to download the template, follow these steps:
- Open the “Aladdin Collection Template”
- Click File > Download As and select the format you want (Microsoft Excel, OpenDocument Format, etc.)
- Choose a location on your computer to save the spreadsheet
- You may also choose to upload your spreadsheet to a format like Google Drive so that you can access it from anywhere – simply log in to your Google Drive and you can drag and drop the file or click New > File Upload and search for your saved document from the saved location on your computer
- Make it your own – add, remove, or rearrange the columns to suit your needs
- If you decide to keep an online photo album of each of your lamps, you can even link your albums to your spreadsheet